I've purchase an old farm/homestead in Washington State to live hopefully for the rest of my life. I have read One Straw Revolution by Fukuoka and want to try his methods. I have committed myself to his four principles of no cultivation, no herbacides, no pesticides, no fertilizers. Washington State has much fertile soil, but where I live it is rocky. The land is overrun by grass with a few weeds. I intend to grow grains, fruit trees, and vegetables.
I hope to make many mistakes, but I have the guide of many people all over the world who have Fukuoka-sans advice and first hand experience so I hope to learn and grow.
I have started by clearning some of the tall grass and hope to plant some grain for laying over winter. The earlier that I can take advantage of the spring thaw. I have planted some fruit trees. I'll see how they fare over winter. Fukuoka has mentioned that most fruit trees have already been altered by man need some sort of attention. I just planted mine from the nursury. I shall see just how much maintenance.
My hope is to just get started and see what grows well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment